Exciting news! Our website for our upcoming event in October is now up! Please check it out and read all about our event. You can now purchase tickets, book into classes, register as an exhibitor, submit an entry into the Golden Leaf Awards and lots more! http://www.australianteaexpo.com.au
If you have turned on your TV, used the internet or even read a newspaper in the last few months you would have gathered that matcha is going to be the next big thing in the coffee and tea market.
Matcha is a powdered form of steamed and dried green tea leaves that has been used in Japanese tea ceremonies but is now becoming the new superfood. Unlike the Bubble tea trend that we explored last year, matcha comes with oodles of health benefits.
Health benefits include:
- Full of antioxidants, including the amazing cancer-fighting antioxidant EGCg.
- Boosting metabolism and burning more calories
- Enhances mood and improves concentration.
- Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium.
- Boosts your immune system.
- Rich in fiber.
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar.
So it’s no wonder that it is increasing in popularity and is being used in versatile ways; from matcha lattes to being used in cake recipes. People are falling in love with all the possibilities.
For those of you who want to start enjoying matcha at home, here are a few tips to get you started:
- There are 10 grades of matcha, the higher the grade the less bitter the Matcha.
- You should use it within six months of it being harvested.
- Be prepared with the correct tools; (link to ATM) a chawan, a chasen and a chashaku.
- Whisk vigorously.
- Once the mixture is smooth, drink immediately! Or the powder will settle at the bottom of the cup.